Search This Blog

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Elementary Physics Education

I have told a lot of people that the U.S. Education system is not getting the job done teaching elementary physics principles. If people were aware that two solid objects can NOT occupy the same space at the same time, we would not have people pushing to get on the elevator or bus or subway before the passengers, trying to exit, get out.  WELL, the problem in the U.S. is minimal compared to the problem here!!!

When we are walking anyplace, there always seems to be at least one person who feels it is there life mission to get in front of me and between Grace and me. This was really a problem when we were boarding the Super Ferry because Grace had both tickets and both passports. Gosh, elementary physics again!

I used to walk around the perimeter of Concord Mills Mall for exercise because one circuit is one mile.  One of my biggest frustrations was people who seemed to be wandering aimlessly with no apparent purpose. They would stop, start, turn without looking, and generally zig-zag like two year olds.  It seems to be ten times worse here. Maybe that is because there are many more people per square kilometer. It is irritating and I seem to be spending a lot of time being irritated lately. Another thing that is incredibly irritating to me is that people don't make any effort not to run into you with themselves or the things they are carrying. I suppose being raised in the midwest during the 1950's makes me more irritated by things people do to me that I would never dream of doing to them. Apparently, the crowded conditions make pushing, shoving, stepping on your toes, and smacking into you with parcels, a way of life.  Here again, elementary physics knowledge would benefit people a great deal. I think some Buddhist "awareness" of one's self and one's surroundings would be really helpful too.

While I'm complaining, I'll tell you that the club house has two party areas. They have a roof, and low walls, but they are open on all sides. The people who set-up and operate the P.A. systems seem to think everyone in EVERY unit of the complex NEEDS to hear what's going on. Tonight they are having some kind of karaoke contest, and I am wishing for a high powered rifle with telescopic sights to put some of the croaking chickens out of their misery. If this were a perfect world, Gilbert & Sullivan rules would apply, and the punishment WOULD fit the crime!

Grace says I'm entirely too grumpy, and I have abandoned my goal of becoming a curmudgeon, like Walter, so I suppose I need to learn to flow like a stream between the lilly pads.

3 comments:

  1. I had someone from India tell me that there is no concept of "personal space" when you grow up in highly crowded areas.. That the "three foot" rule is foreign to them. I'm supposing that it's the same in Manila. Hang in there, but I think that you're going to have to get over the need of your personal space, because I don't think you'll be able to change every one over there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Siddharth first arrived he didn't understand the personal space concept. By the way, he told me that his time with us in America was directly responsible for his doing really well in his interview and getting his first job. I'm working to stay calm. I didn't get upset with a guy on the LRT today who kept banging his shopping bag into my leg. Of course we were lucky and got seats on that leg of the trip. If I'd been standing, who knows ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang! I'm sure that is beyond frustrating. Maybe you have to "claim" your personal space. I dunno. Good luck with that :)

    ReplyDelete