Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Differences

People here will generally not understand what you are asking if you ask for directions to the "rest room" or "bath room."  "Comfort Room" or "CR" is what is used most often here.

If you have seen the movie, "Demolition Man" you will understand this reference to the "three sea shells."  Mostly, it seems that people here don't use toilet paper.  Almost every home has a plastic, sauce pan shaped thing, that people use to wash off.  While Filipinos in general are less shy about their bodies and bodily functions than most Americans, I am not going to ask Grace for a demonstration of how to use the little plastic bucket, and it will remain a mystery akin to the proper way to use the three sea shells.

We were at the gym last night, when Grace suddenly got very pale.  I got her home as fast as I could.  She said she smelled something at the gym that made her  feel sick.  Her body temperature was really high, and I used cool water on a cloth to help get her cooled down.  She went to sleep, and was feeling fine this morning.  I don't know what made her feel so ill so quickly, but it was pretty scary.  She does so much for me, I'm glad I was able to take care of her for a change.

Grace has become a very good Cribbage player, and I have to bring my "A" game to be competitive.  We both have a silly sense of humor, and find plenty to do without TV, and we seldom watch any of the movies I have on my hard disk.  Grace is an excellent bargainer, and she is always getting us a discount on this and that.  She also buys things, advertises on an online board, and sells them at a profit.  We are talking about finding a place to live "in the provinces" where there is a beach that isn't over developed yet so that prices are still low, and doing "buy and sell" rather than her getting a regular job.  Having her work from home would be a big plus as far as I'm concerned.  Life is just more fun when she is around.

No comments:

Post a Comment