Search This Blog

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Background

This blog is in response to my friends' requests for a more coherent format than my daily Facebook ramblings about my post retirement travels.

I am a native born US citizen, 62 years old, divorced, retired teacher, and neophyte world traveler.

"Plan A" was to sail my 41 foot sloop around the world as many times as I could before decrepitude prevented further travel. Tropical Storm Faye totaled my boat shortly after I bought it in 2008, and left me to come up with "Plan B."

About that time, I met a girl online, fell in love, and decided to move to the Philippines. The day after I got here, she told me that in the first hug, she didn't feel a spark, so the wedding is off. Now I am adjusting to being roommates and "just friends" with the girl I wanted to marry.

Further conversations have revealed that she thought I just wanted a friend and someone to take care of me when I'm too old to take care of myself.  Now people who know me well will tell you that I'm pretty direct, and so it is hard for me to believe she didn't understand that I wasn't talking about a platonic marriage...but whatever....

Some of this trip is very personal, and I have been trying to stay out of the realm of TMI.  I know that some people are thinking, "You have been played."  I completely accept the possibility that analysis is correct.  I am what most people call a hopeless romantic.  I prefer the more positive spin of the novelist in Romancing the Stone, and think of myself as a hopeful romantic.  There is always a risk any time you allow yourself to have feelings for another person.  I had my eyes wide open, and knew the probability things would go as I hoped was very small.  However, I think the risk was worth it, given the possibility of finding everything I always dreamed of.  I don't believe there was ever an intent to fool me or rip me off.  I think the reality of big, American, male, me was more than she was prepared for.  If I look at this in strictly practical terms, the cost has been smaller than if I'd invested in the stock market.  The potential return was much more attractive, and I had 6 months of enjoying endorphin drenched happiness.  Really not that bad a deal.  I will get over it, and who knows who I will meet tomorrow.

So our basic household is me, in one bedroom,  and Jackie, and her twin sister Joan in the other bedroom.  They are joined from time to time by one or more of their sisters who think we have a lot more room than at their parents' house.  Jackie cooks and cleans, while Joan cleans and does laundry.

This blog is a chronicle of "Plan B."

No comments:

Post a Comment