Search This Blog

Monday, July 19, 2010

Not a Fan of Chaos

OK, here is one area where I'm going to say categorically that I DON'T like the way things are done in the Philippines.  When I need to see a doctor,  I'd like to make an appointment, thank you very much, come 15 minutes early, and know that unless a disaster movie becomes a local reality, I will get to see a doctor.  My time in the Air Force lets me be adaptable, so if it is a competent doctor, I'm not traumatized if it's not the doctor I usually see.  Sometimes their are advantages to a fresh view point and another set of eyes.

I called St. Luke's Urology department, and they told me, come tomorrow 9am to 12pm, first come, first served.  Now I guess that approach has worked for Southwest Airlines, so maybe I shouldn't complain, but for the first time since I've been here, I am complaining.  Jackie says we need to be sure to be there before 9am or  I will not get seen.  In order to get there before 9am, we will need to leave the house before 6am.  If there is an unusual traffic problem, I'll be screwed, and all the effort will be for nothing.  Now I understand why it can be so difficult to get things done here.

ARRRRGH!  I am not a fan of chaos!  I'm going to a private hospital, paying full price, and I know I'm not getting off for $5 tomorrow.  I'd like a few of the amenities that should go with a private doctor and paying full price. if you don't mind!  I suppose this system works best with the local patient population, but I am not happy about it!

I really don't have any choice though because there is no way for me to find a urologist working from a private office that has their credentials verified in the way a doctor at St. Luke's does.  I've talked to my urologist in the US, and he isn't able to recommend a doctor in Manila, so we will just have to hope I get to see a knowledgeable and experienced doctor.  My US doctor did verify that the medicines prescribed by the surgeon at the Makati hospital are correct and appropriate for my symptoms.

And NOW for something completely different!

Jackie made a grilled pork dish with baby corn,  green beans, okra and uncooked sliced tomatoes for lunch that was the best thing she has cooked yet, and most everything she has made has been very good, so this was exceptionally delicious.  She is very good at getting the vegetables cooked just right.  She says she invented the sauce.  It reminded me of a sweet teriyaki.  She says she did not know how to cook until just before I got here.  Jackie says she learns best from following the instructions in a cook book.  This is reflected in her interest in "presentation."  It was so pretty, I felt bad that I didn't think to take a picture before devouring it.  She says she has a terrible time learning from someone explaining or showing her how to do something.  Jackie and I finished up the pork from lunch for dinner tonight.  Joan doesn't eat leftovers, so Jackie made her some sort of fish.  The grilled pork was so good, I didn't mind at all having it two meals in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment